Thursday, September 3, 2015

Kitchen

Now that you are eating better, it's time to make sure you don't contaminate all of your hard work.  There are surfaces all over your kitchen that come into contact with you and your food. Below are some of my suggestions for keeping your kitchen chemical free.

 
Plastics
On the bottom of most plastic containers is the recycling number for that plastic.  These numbers can tell you if the plastic is known to contain toxic chemicals or not.  Numbers 2, 4 and 5 are safe choices; 1 and 7 you should limit or use caution; and 3 and 6 you should avoid.

Safe Plastic Numbers Guide
http://www.babygreenthumb.com/122-safe-plastic-numbers-guide.aspx

 
Recently, I have been concerned about my family's use of plastics. Though they are BPA free, each plastic has a proprietary formula, and it is unknown what other harmful chemicals could be seeping out onto your food.  For this reason, I try to limit our use of plastic containers.

Avoiding plastics can be easier said than done though. Especially when you have an 18 month old who thinks her plate is a frisbee.  So, for everything I can't avoid being plastic, I avoid washing it in the dishwasher.

The plastic may say it is dishwasher or microwave safe, but that only means it will not warp under extreme temperatures. It does not mean toxic chemicals will not still leach out onto your food. Here is my dishwashing process to avoid this problem:


Dishwashing
To start, I wash all of my dishes with Seventh Generation Free and Clear dish liquid. I like how well it cuts through the food, and I often use it as an ingredient in a lot of my cleaning products. I buy mine from Target for $5.99 for a 50fl oz. bottle.

Now, before I started using natural dishwashing detergents I always had to pre-wash all of my dishes. I don't know if I am just unlucky, or doing something wrong, but I have never been able to just throw my dirty dishes in the dishwasher, and have them come out sparkling clean. That being said, I make my own dishwasher detergent that, for pre-washing my dishes, leaves my dishes spotless. A lot of natural and homemade detergents will leave your dishes with a nasty haze. Which, for my OCD self, I can't stand. Here is my recipe for my homemade dishwasher detergent:


Dishwasher Detergent


-Water
-2 Tbsp. Borax
-2 Tbsp. Arm and Hammer Super Washing Soda
-1 Tbsp. Lemon Shine
-1 Tbsp. Dish Liquid (Seventh Generation)
-1 gallon jug (I reused an old vinegar jug, to remove the label soak the jug in warm water and a couple glugs of vinegar)

Start by boiling about 2 cups of water on the stove.

Remove from heat and add the borax, washing soda, lemon shine and dish liquid (I like to dissolve the ingredients in hot water, because the borax doesn't dissolve well in cold water).

Let the solution cool, and then pour into gallon jug. Fill up the rest of the jug with cold water, and you are all set.


Dish Washing Steps
To start, I have my soapy warm water in the sink.


In a basin I got from the Dollar Tree, I have cold water and what I would guess is about 2 Tbsp of vinegar (I just do 1 glug). This is my rinse bucket.


I start by washing my plastics, dip them in the rinse bucket, and then set them in the dishwasher while I continue to wash the rest.

Then, I wash the knives, dip them in the rinse bucket, and place them in the dishwasher.

Next, I wash the pots and pans (not many pots and pans are dishwasher safe) dip them in the rinse bucket, and set them in the dishwasher.

At this point then, I dry all of the dishes, and put them away. Now, again, I don't know if I am just unlucky, but I have always had to dry my dishes by hand anyway.

All I have left now is my glassware, silverware and plates. I save these for last, because my water is all dirty at this point, and, happily, the dishwasher will fix all of that nastiness. 

*You should always microwave your sponge for about 1 minute at least once a week; if not  every time before you wash the dishes. Also, use a clean tea towel to dry the dishes.

All together I was very surprised how easy it was to not dishwash my plastics.  It was nice to have it all done, and to not have to wait for the dishwasher to run.  Though, I am still on the fence, I might try in the future to cut out the dishwasher completely.

12 Things You Should Not Dishwash
http://spoonuniversity.com/learn/12-things-you-should-never-put-in-the-dishwasher/


Pots and Pans
The majority of non-stick cookware today contains toxic chemicals that leach out onto your food.  Now, cast iron or stainless steel pots are generally chemical free, but I am not a good enough cook to not solder my eggs to the pot for eternity.

The other option I have found is ceramic cookware.  I have been using ceramic cookware for a while now, and I love them. Ceramic pots are PFOA and PTFE free, but still provide a non-stick surface.  The only thing you need to watch out for when purchasing them is if they are induction top safe (if you have a glass stove top) or if they are dishwasher safe (if you would still like to dishwash them).

There are a lot of pricey options out there for ceramic cookware, but I don't see them lasting any longer than the cheaper pots. Personally, I like to buy the cheaper ones, and when they are worn I don't feel bad to buy shiny new ones. My newest pots came from Bed Bath and Beyond. They are the Denmark 10 piece ceramic nonstick aluminum cookware set in the copper finish for $99.99 (plus 20% off coupon!!!).  They are induction top safe, but not recommended for dishwasher.  Love them!

Ceramic Pans
http://wellnessmama.com/13203/glazed-ceramic-pans-safe/


Cleaning Products
There are surfaces all over your kitchen that you and your family touch. You don't want these to be contaminated with chemicals. There are several green products you can choose from out there, but I find these products leave a residue. Most of my cleaning products I make on my own.


All Purpose Cleaner


-2 cups Water
-1/2 cup Isopropyl Alcohol
-8 drops Dish Liquid (Seventh Generation)
-Spray bottle
-(Optional) Grapefruit Essential Oil

Start by pouring the water into the spray bottle. Mark the water level line on the spray bottle, and label it 'water'.

Then, pour the alcohol into the spray bottle. Mark the level line again on the spray bottle, and label this line 'alcohol'. This way, when it comes time to refill your cleaner, you won't have to measure out your liquids again.

Last, add about 8 drops of dish soap (mine doesn't drip out, so just a squirt will do).  If you would like to have a fruity smell, and add some antibacterial properties you can add a couple drops of Grapefruit Essential Oil to the solution.  I normally just use my without, though.


Glass Stove Top Cleaner


-Baking Soda
-Salt
-Small Container
-Scouring Pad

Mix equal parts baking soda and salt in small container.

Spread a little bit all over dirty stove top.

Scrub with damp scouring pad until clean. For extra dirty stove top, pour some vinegar on scouring pad before scrubbing.

Wipe off residue with paper towel, and clean with All Purpose Cleaner.


Cabinet Cleaner
-water
-vinegar
-sponge (I use Scotch Brite Greener Clean non-scratch sponges)

Mix equal parts vinegar and warm water.

Whipe down cabinets with sponge.


Floor Cleaner
-water
-Murphy's Oil Soap or vinegar
-2 buckets
-mop with 2 changeable heads

Pour some Murphy's Oil soap (instructions say 1/2 cup per gallon of water; I just eyeball this though) or vinegar (again, it's just a couple of glugs) in 1 bucket. 

Fill with warm water.

Fill other bucket with plain warm water. This is your rinse bucket.

Mop floor; rinsing mop off in rinse bucket before placing back in soapy water.

Change mop head to dry head, and dry floor once done mopping.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment