Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Laundry

Most people wouldn't think twice about what chemicals they use on their laundry. I mean, it's not like you are putting the actual detergents on your skin, right? Really, though, you are still absorbing and inhaling these dangerous chemicals all day long.

From the clothes you and your family wear, to the towels you dry off on, these chemicals are tainting your laundry. And for my blanket-pacifying daughter, this is particularly dangerous. Below is a couple ways I keep these toxins out of our laundry.


Laundry Detergent
3 cups boiling water
1/2 cup Borax
1/2 cup Arm and Hammer Super Washing Soda
1/2 cup Baking Soda
2 Tbsp. Seventh Generation Dish Liquid
1 gallon jug (reused vinegar jug)
Water

Mix all of the ingredients in the boiling water until dissolved.

Let cool, and then pour into jug. Fill the rest of the jug with water, and your detergent is ready!

Fill high efficiency slot in the washer, or just add about 1/2 cup to the wash, and wash clothes on normal settings.

I normally wash on Eco warm unless the clothes are heavily soiled.


Stain Remover
Baking Soda
Hydrogen Peroxide
Seventh Generation Dish Liquid

Mix 1 part dish liquid with 2 parts hydrogen peroxide.

Mix in 1-2 Tbsp. of baking soda until it forms a liquid paste.

Using a toothbrush, rub paste into stain on both sides of garment.

Let sit for 1 hour, and then wash in warm water.

Mixture does not hold its effectiveness for long, so I normally just mix up a batch before I start to do laundry. 

I normally start by throwing the clothes in the wash looking for any soiled items. While the first load is washing, I treat the soiled items, and then set them to the side to soak. I then wash all of the soiled items and the rest of my laundry in the second load on warm. 




Wool Dyer Balls
Fabric softeners and dryer sheets are full of toxic chemicals. These dryer balls are my favorite!! They are easy to make, decrease drying time, soften clothes, and, after the initial cost of yarn, are free for life!! 

These instructions call for you to use panty hose, and tie floss between each ball. I just threw all of the balls into a tube sock, knotted the end, and threw them in the wash.  They have lasted me 2 years now.  And if you enjoy adding scent to your laundry, you can add a couple drops of your favorite essential oil to the balls.

Wool Dryer Balls Instructions

No comments:

Post a Comment