Saturday, September 26, 2015

Sustainable Future

Just watched Cowspiracy recently, and my husband and I were shocked with what we saw. Animal agriculture is destroying our ozone, oceans and rainforests. People have been kept in the dark as to what's really going on in the world, because once again big bully corporate America would rather see people and our planet die, than to give up their fancy lifestyle.

The only problem with the documentary is it offers an absolute solution. They say the only way to fix the problem is to basically kill off all of the livestock (the same as them killing off all of the elephants), and for everyone to accept a vegan diet. This is not a realistic goal.

People would be more willing to cut back their consumption of meat and dairy products than to cut them out completely. I know they said Meatless Mondays would not make a difference, but maybe cutting out meat and dairy during the week would be better. Or even cutting back the portion size everyday. I can feed my family of 4 off of 1 chicken breast for a meal.

Meat and dairy should be treated as seasonings, and not the main course. I have talked before about Joel Furhman and the Nutritarian Diet or the Eat to Live Diet. Not only is eating meat and dairy bad for our environment, but it is bad for us as well. I love this food pyramid below. I think it is spot on the way we should be eating as a planet. Give it a try!


I understand changing lifelong culture and habits can be hard. These things take time. Try cutting back slowly until you are use to the diet, and you will see how much better you will feel.

If you do decide to go full vegan, though, I would highly recommend getting Nutritional Yeast. When you stop eating meat you are missing out on essential B-vitamins. You will develop extreme brain fog without them. Nutritional yeast helps to replace these vitamins. It has a cheese flavor and goes great on everything. My favorite is popcorn!

Please share this with your friends and family, so we can all start making a difference.


Available on Netflix
http://www.cowspiracy.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment